From:
"Harold H. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harold H. Miller
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:54:06 -0600
The Berne Historical Project at www.Bernehistory.org is a little over a year old now, and we are very proud of the amount of progress we have made in such a short time. Our volunteers are busy transcribing census, church and cemetery records for posting on the site.

We have recently added "No Sabbath on the Battlefield," an incredibly personal account of the daily life of a Civil War soldier. Another new addition is the reminiscence of William L. Osterhout written in 1953 when he was 90 years old. Starting with his great-grandfather born in 1766 who squatted in what is now Knox, it is a very interesting piece based on family oral history about the Anti-Rent War.

With almost 15 thousand family groups, the Berne Genealogy is the biggest draw for visitors. It probably should be called the Hilltowns Genealogy since it covers families from Schoharie County and all of the Towns and villages in the Helderbergs.

The Berne Historic Project, in cooperation with the Town of Berne Historian and the Berne Historical Society, is planning a three day festival called Berne Heritage Days. It will take place August 30 - September 1 of this year. Descendants of Berne ancestors from around the country and Canada will be coming to Berne to learn some of its history, and to visit the actual site of their ancestors' farms, homes, churches and cemeteries.  There will be speakers, research opportunities, drive-it-yourself tours. There will be blacksmith, spinning, and weaving demonstrations and much more, like food tables, garage sales, and some special events for children.

To read the updated agenda of the festival, go to
    http://www.Bernehistory.org/     Click on Berne Heritage Days.

Read the agenda and fill out the survey form if you might be interested in attending.

Harold Miller, Berne Historical Project
Ralph Miller, Historian, Town of Berne