NYHIST-L Archives

January 2000

From:
Harry Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:57:09 -0500
Good Morning [from Harry Bradshaw Matthews]:

I am pleased to announce that the web site for the United States Colored
Troops Institute for Local History and Family Research can now be accessed
at http://www.hartwick.edu/usct/usct.htm

Topic areas include:

President's Message; New York State Governor's Proclamation 1998;
Emancipation Proclamation 1863; United States
Colored Troops from New York; Tour the Institute and Region; Membership
Information and Benefits; Apply for
Membership; 1999-2000 USCT Membership Roster; USCT Commemorative Symposium;
Frederick Douglass'
"Men of Color to Arms"; Medal of Honor Winners; Burials with Honor; USCT
State Roll Call; Paul Laurence
Dunbar's "The Colored Soldier"; Books, Prints and Web sites; and Sign in
Guest Book.

It is also a pleasure to announce that this week-end will be the beginning
of a pilot project: "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
and the USCT Institute HERITAGE AND LEADERSHIP FORUM, " in which 30 high
school students from the
Washington, DC metro area, the New York City metro area, and Rochester, NY
will convene at Hartwick College for the
Heritage and Leadership Class and an awards dinner. The students will engage
in a six-hour class (to be taught by me)
learning how their heritage impacts their respective leadership styles. A
second Heritage and Leadership Forum has
been scheduled for Harrisburg, PA in March (sponsored there by local
groups). Two more sessions may  be scheduled
for April and May [if local sponsors step forward and are able to provide
the necessary financial resources]. This is being
done to help set the stage for the Civil War Grand Review 2000, a three-day
commemoration to be held June 9-11 at Harrisburg, PA. The USCT Institute
will be well represented by members at the event. For further information
about the
latter and the USCT Speakers Bureau, please contact me at:

Harry Bradshaw Matthews
USCT Institute President

[Associate Dean, Hartwick College]