NYHIST-L Archives

November 1997

From:
Phlete Teachout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:59:46 -0500
At 07:14 PM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>looking for information on how long it would take for a horse and wagon to
>go one mile; for a horse/rider to go one mile.  I am trying to get a feel
>for what it would of been like to live in 1898.  thanks.

Based on personal (although ancient) experience - it varies.

On a good dirt road, two horses pulling a 'reasonable' load (varies with
the horse) would probably make a steady 3 miles an hour or so.  Figure
30-35 miles a day on a good day, 25 miles or less (and often MUCH less) on
a bad day - muddy road, lots of hills, breakdowns, deep snow, river
crossings, wind storms, rain, etc.

Horse and rider, on a long haul, might make 50 miles on a good day.
Probably a little less.

It also depends on where you are in 1898.  On the east or west coast, with
good roads and easy access to provisions (for both animals and people), you
could expect to make pretty good time.  In Idaho (or someplace similar),
you'd need to figure in time for your animals to graze, find water for
yourself and animals, collect firewood for cooking, do your own preventive
maintenance on saddles or wagons, make detours because you are suddenly
faced with a riverbank 25 feet high and no apparent way to cross, etc.  (Oh
yeah - don't forget the Indians and highwaymen) :)

Cheers,
                                                - fleet -