NYHIST-L Archives

October 2013

From:
HIST- Historian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:32:16 +0000
Bob,

Are you sure only a few of the one room school houses remain?
Here in Wayne County with 15 – 20 one & two room school house per Town (we have 15 Towns here)
I would say that easily better than 75% are still standing.
Many, if not most were used as schools well into the 1940s when Centralization with busing became the norm.

Some are hard to recognize because they’ve been integrated into house construction or turned into farm storage…etc.

Out here in Wayne County (between Rochester and Syracuse) I get into trouble when I tell people that they are “A Dime A Dozen” when local groups want to save a school house that is threatened.
Among our 15 towns we must have 10 museums in school houses….some are absolutely pristine…perfect as the day the doors closed for the last time.

There is considerable emotional attachments to the school we attended.
With resources limited to a certain extent, you have to ask if this is the best way to use these limited resources.
Perhaps a better way would be to look for those old abandoned theaters and opera houses in our communities.
They can become a significant resource for the community because they can be used in so many ways in addition to being a historical resource
(meeting, weddings, theater, other performance…etc.)

Just a thought,

Peter