NYHIST-L Archives

August 2006

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:31:46 -0400
I believe that in Ann Gertrude Sneller's A Vanished World, published by
Syracuse University press some years ago and dealing with rural life in
late 19th century Onondaga County, she mentions that a shiling was rural
slang for a quarter. My memory may be a mite dim on that, though.

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/26/2006 3:30 PM >>>
Hi, all,

I wonder if any of you might be able to help me out with a
numismatical question, or to point me in the direction of the answer.

What was a "shilling" in New York City in the 1840s/1850s? I had
thought it was just a way of saying 12.5 cents, and didn't refer to
an actual coin, but I've found an account of someone having his
shilling engraved and framed (in the spirit that merchants today
sometimes display above their cash registers the first dollar they
ever took in). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

all best,
Caleb Crain
Brooklyn, NY