NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:52:35 -0400
Curiously, the 1830 federal census shows 75 slaves in NYState:

26 in Montgomery County
17 in New York County (Manhattan)
15 in Oneida County
  8 in Washington County
  4 in Putnam County
  3 in Chenango County
  2 in Albany County

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Because the remaining slaves seem
concentrated in rural counties, I reject the idea that the slaves are
'sojourners'. Also, 52 of the 75 (69%) were females between 0-35 years of
age. In 1840, when 4 slaves are listed, they are all females (3 in King's
County, 1 in Putnam). By 1850, no slaves are listed in NY State.

Curious, eh?

Edward Knoblauch