NYHIST-L Archives

April 2007

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:11:29 +0000
A Google search for 'hudson river "which bears his name"' shows about 10,200 hits, but a search for 'lake champlain "which bears his name"' shows only 693 hits!

The similar phase "that bears his name" shows 17,200 hits for Hudson and only 866 hits for Champlain.

Can we thus conclude that the phrase is relatively not as hackneyed (so more permissible) for Lake Champlain as compared to the Hudson River?

Edward Knoblauch