NYHIST-L Archives

December 1996

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 02 Dec 1996 08:26:49 -0500
I'm not sure about barn murals, and only
remember advertising art on barns,
occasional farm and family names and
dates on the sides of barns or sometimes
picked out in their rooftop shingles.
There's a nice Welsh Pendragon on
Route 12, north of Utica, and I know of
some shamrocks and stuff visible
elsewhere.

In an urban setting, advertising art was
commonplace, but folk art was rare. I
know that when I was Albany County
Historian, I began a project to document
some of the advertising stuff on the walls
of buildings in the City of Albany and even
had a photo album donated by the
grand-daughter of one of the artist/sign
painters who painted ads.

How common are the barn murals and in
what context do you seem to find them?