NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

From:
"Vee L. Housman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:41:26 +0100
Jim Corsaro wrote:

> Vee:
>
>         I don't exactly remember the Labor Day parade as a child,
> but I do know that Youngstown is one of the prettier villages in NYS
> and sits on a beautiful spot overlooking the Niagara River and Lake
> Ontario. If I were anywhere near Youngstown, I would be there on
> Labor Day!
>
>         The only mistake re: historical matters I see in the
> Lewiston-Youngstown area is that the name of River Road should have
> remained and the name History Trail or whatever it is called today
> should be eliminated. The name River Road goes back at least to the
> 18th century and should be reinstated.
>
>                                 Jim
Dear Jim and All,

It pleases me that you appreciate the beauty of Youngstown.  It sure IS
a special village.

Now, regarding River Road.  Again, I've done a bit of research--not
thorough--but at least I can tell you the bottom line.  River Road is
still alive and well and continues to be named and called that.  It just
so happens that there may be more signs along it that identify it as
part of the History Trail.

In the late 1700s that stretch of road (which was hardly wider than the
original Indian trail) was referred to as the portage.  As a bit of
background, during that time, more and more fur traders and more and
more commerce and settling of this frontier was taking place, and
waterways were of vast importance.  To go from Lake Ontario to the other
Great Lakes, meant having to get around the falls of Niagara.
Therefore, they had to portage or carry their boats and supplies
overland until they could then continue on in the Niagara River above
the falls.  That stretch of "road" was called the "portage."

I noticed in several Title Searches of the properties in the Youngstown
area that by around 1830 the road was referred to as "the road between
Lewiston and Fort Niagara."  And by the 1850s it was referred to as
River Road and remains so today.

Not only that, but it remains the prettiest winding road that one could
take along the peaceful lower Niagara River--grand old trees and grand
old homes and all!  (With lovely ghosts of the past that go along with
it! :-D)

Happy Labor Day!

Vee Housman