NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

From:
"Vee L. Housman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:54:36 +0100
I did a bit of research yesterday and came up with the following brief
history of DeVeaux School.  Most of it was from the book, "A History of
DeVeaux School, 1853-1953."  It was written by Donald Loker in 1963 and
published by Fose Printing, Niagara Falls, NY.  Note:  The school was
still open at that time.

Samuel DeVeaux, 1789-1853, stipulated that after he died, part of his
estate was to be used to establish the DeVeaux College for Orphans and
Destitute Children.  The school was incorporated and construction began
in 1855.

He had stipulated that the president of the school should be a clergyman
of the Protestant Episcopal Church and that the student body to consist
of orphaned boys 8 to 12 years old.  However, a destitute boy who had
lost only his father could be admitted.  Episcopalians would have
primary claims to admission.  The school opened on 20 May 1857.

In the 1870s, along with the scholastic and Christian training, military
training was presented.  In 1879 it was decided that the cadet uniform
be of navy blue.

In the early 1900s students were admitted as pay pupils, meaning they
would have to pay tuition.  [I believe that's when the rich families of
the area started sending their sons there.]  In 1917 the name was
changed to DeVeaux School.  Bit by bit part of the original school
grounds were sold off--part for a housing devlopment of sorts (now
called the DeVeaux section of the city) and part (in 1928) to the state
(now the Whirlpool State Park).

In 1950 all military aspects of the school were discontinued.  In 1971
the school closed and from 1972-1978 it was used as a school for the
learning disabled.  I believe everything was sold in 1989 to Niagara
University.

I can only hope that I got my facts straight.  Obviously, Loker's book
didn't tell me about the school after 1953--it was only the first 100
years that he covered.  I called the History Dept. of the Niagara Falls
library and they are struggling to sort things out after their move from
the second floor to the third.  Therefore, they could give me only bits
and pieces of information.

Hope the above is of interest to the list.

Vee Housman
Youngstown, NY