NYHIST-L Archives

April 2005

From:
Thomas McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:25:10 -0400
Many of you may recall a recurring and haunting melody played during several scenes of Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, including an abridged reading of Union Major Sullivan Ballou's poignant letter written to his wife just before he went into a battle that he did not survive.  In researching another matter for our New York Correction History Society's web site, I came across a Civil War history web site playing that same melody . Its webmaster generously sent the digital music file to me. I did some research on it preliminary to adding the sound file to the "Civil War & Correction" section of our web site. The results of that research became the basis of a new presentation just posted there: "Civil War Documentary's Haunting Melody Ties to Hart's Cavalry History."  http://www.correctionhistory.org/civilwar/ashokan/ashokan.html

Thomas C. McCarthy, general secretary/webmaster,
New York Correction History Society
www.correctionhistory.org     [log in to unmask]