From:
Harry Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:22:14 -0400
Good Morning:

I need help clarifying the accurate interpretation of my recent acquisition
[letter] below:

"War Department
Adjutant General's Office.
Washington, October 25, 1865.

Lieut. Colonel R.J. Dodge.
Chief Mustering Officer.
New York City, N.Y.

Colonel,
     I am directed to inform you that the stoppage against the pay of
Colonel Guernsey, Captain McDonald and Lieutenant Miller, twenty sixth (26)
United States Colored Troops, is hereby removed and they may receive their
honorable discharges and final payments.
     The stoppage still stands against Lieutenant J.L. Full, Acting
Regimental Quartermaster, and will  not be removed.

     I have the honor to be, Colonel,
          Very Respectfully,
           Your Obedient Servant,
    (Sgd.) Thomas M. Vincent,
     Asst. Adjutant General.

Official copy respectfully furnished for the information of Colonel W.B.
Guernsey, late of 26th United States Colored Troops.
                    Thomas M. Vincenet
                Asst. Adjutant General"

[Note: The two signatures of "Thomas M. Vincent" are different].

Thanks

Harry Bradshaw Matthews
President, USCT Institute/
Associate Dean, Hartwick College