NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

From:
Scott Monje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:10:20 -0500
One station on the Underground Railroad that rarely finds its way onto maps is Pultneyville, a small hamlet on the coast of Lake Ontario in Wayne County, east of Rochester and just west of Sodus Bay.

The actual station was the house of Samuel C. Cuyler (1808-1872). The house no longer exists. Cuyler was a member, successively, of the Whig, Liberty, Free Soil, and Republican parties and served in the State Senate in the 1850s. From Pultneyville, fugitive slaves were ferried to Canada by a local captain named Horatio Nelson Throop (1807-1884). I believe Throop's house may now be the site of the Pultneyville Historical Society, but I'm not sure about that.

See: George W. Cowles, Landmarks of Wayne County, New York  (Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason, 1895; reprint, Salem, Mass.: Higginson Books, 1997), part 1, pp. 311-312.

As others have already suggested, your text should point out that no map is definitive and that most people didn't participate in the Underground Railroad, but, of course, that doesn't mean you can't talk about it or provide a map.