NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
William MacKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:52:07 -0400
Despite its restrictive title, Shane White's Somewhat More Independent: The
End of Slavery in New York City, 1770-1810 [University of Georgia,
0820317861, pb, $20.00] includes plentiful information on slave-holding &
the vagaries of record-keeping in New York State for this period. It's also
a vigorous, sometimes witty book.