NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

From:
Anna Mae Maday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:04:04 -0400
About the word "shillings"   ----I'm sure shillings were not used
in Michigan in the 1880's, but I have a letter from a man who
worked in a sawmill in our area in the early 1880's and he tells
his parents (also in Michigan) how many shillings he makes at the
sawmill.

Even though it struck me as odd for the place and times,
I just thought it  was because his grandparents came from Ontario, and
it was something the "locals" there used to designate money?

It's not an answer to your specific question, but goes to show
how "words" can live on.

Anna Mae Maday
Eddy Historical & Genealogy Collection
Hoyt Public Library