NYHIST-L Archives

May 2006

From:
gerard koeppel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 09:23:20 -0400
JJ McShane is a fictional creation of Chalmers, on pages 22-27 in a
fictional letter by Canvass White (a real Erie engineer) to the
fictional Pippa Post. In 1968, four years after the Chalmers book,
George Condon, Stars in the Water: the Story of the Erie Canal
(Doubleday), p63, begins the process of turning fiction into fact,
introducing McShane as a real character (and using language similar
enough to Chalmers' that some might apply the p word). Since Condon's
popular history, McShane has been considered real by those who have
not done their research, such as Bernstein, p269.

As to "Barto", invariably referred to as  "Dr. Barto", "a scientific
gentleman" in such unreliable popular histories as Condon (p58) and
Bernstein (213), he was actually Andrew Abramse Bartow,
scientifically-inclined, yes, a doctor, no, but more to the point,
the canal commission's well-paid procurement agent for timber, sand,
and especially lime, among other materials necessary to the canal's
construction. While popular and scholarly writers have often repeated
a fanciful story (first published 30 years later when all the
principals were dead or dying) about the bar room assistance of
"Barto" in testing Canvass White's "discovery" of the hydraulic
cement required for the canal's masonry, it was in fact Bartow who
made the discovery through dogged field and laboratory efforts, sold
the patent rights for a very considerable $2,000 to White, and
retained a 25% share in future profits (of which, alas, there were
none). Fairfield (NY) town historian Jane Dieffenbacher was the first
to uncover the documentation several years ago (see www.rootsweb.com/
~nyherkim/fairfield/abartow.html); for a scholarly treatment, see my
"Andrew Bartow and the cement that made the Erie Canal," N-Y J of Am
Hist (Spring-Summer 2005), 52-60.

McShane and Bartow are interesting opposites, in terms of myth and
history: a fiction becoming fact, a fact becoming fiction.

Gerard Koeppel
NYC