NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

From:
"Vee L. Housman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:50:48 +0100
I have an Indenture dated 30 Oct 1795 in Lancaster County, PA, and it
ends with the statement, "She, the said Mary [Bryan] thereto voluntarily
consenting she being of full age and by me privetly [sic] examined the
above contents being first made known unto her."  It was signed by one
of the Justices of the Peace. BTW, it's doubtful that she could read or
write in that her husband Edward Bryan signed his name with his mark.

Vee Housman