NYHIST-L Archives

December 1998

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:50:28 -0500
The plan of the battlefield at Walmscock was drawn by Lt. Desemretz Durnford and is usaully misattributed to Elias Durnford or other Durnfords. It was engraved for the State of the Expedition by William Faden.

Philip Lord, Jr.
Acting Chief, Historical Survey
New York State Museum
Albany, NY 12230

>>> Warren Broderick <[log in to unmask]> 12/03 9:58 AM >>>
I need the first name of a Colonial era (British?) cartographer for a bibliographical citation.  His surname is Medcalfe, and he drew two maps for Burgoyne's State of the Expedition From Canada (1780): a plan of the battlefield at Walloomsac and a map entitled "Map of the Country in which the Army under Lt. General Burgoyne acted in the Campaign of 1777."

He is sometimes referred to as "M. Medcalfe," but I suspect the "M" may mean "Mr." rather than be his first initial.  Does anyone know Mr. Medcalfe's first name?