NYHIST-L Archives

April 2000

From:
Lesley Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:44:50 -0400
Philip Lord Jr wrote:

> I am trying to find an old photo that evokes early tourism in rural New York
> State, at the time when the State Historic Markers were first being put up.
>
> We have all seen those old shots of Model T Fords (maybe it was
> Model A) struggling through some rutted dirt road, with people hanging out
> the windows (did they have windows?). Too bad when you want to find one, you
> can't seem to come up with it. It does not have to be a NY image, but it
> would be great if it was digital and free of copyright.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Philip Lord,Jr.
> NYS Museum

Robert Bogdan at Syracuse University is the author of "Exposing the
Wilderness: Early-20th-Century Adirondack Postcard Photographers and
Their Work." He presented at a NYS History conference I attended, and
showed many wonderful images of early Adirondack tourism taken by the
six postcard photographers he has studied.
--
Lesley L. Humphreys
Curator of History and Research