NYHIST-L Archives

September 2000

Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:16:06 EDT
Is any effort being made to preserve or archive the original newspapers (many
printed on crumbling, acid paper)?  Despite the fragility and crumbling
nature of these yellowed originals, they nevertheless contain photographs and
illustrations that reproduce terribly on microfilm.  Many of these printed
newspaper photographs, despite their screened format and grain, are the only
"originals" we'll ever have.  These crumbling papers should just be put away
somewhere and saved anyway.  Future technology may make it possible to make
further use of them.  I fear that libraries may be all too eager to destroy
originals once they are microfilmed.