NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:10:15 -0400
Thanks to all and sundry for the prompt and illuminating answers to my
query about money in 19th-century New York. They were in fact so very
helpful, that I am made bold (as they used to say) to burden the list with
another question.

Can anyone direct me to an account of the state government's move out of
NYC to Albany in 1797? My fitful researches haven't produced anything very
useful. I am especially interested in whether any comparisons can
be drawn with the public reaction to the departure of the federal
government in 1790.

Ted Burrows
Department of History
Brooklyn College