NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 15:42:40 -0400
Hi Hal,

I think this e-mail was lost in the crash last week, so I'm resending. If
you've gotten it twice, my apologies!

In a message dated 9/24/97 2:05:08 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Greetings from a new subscriber.  A subscriber of H-LOCAL told me about
>NYHIST-L when I made the following query:
>
>I've recently run across a couple of references to a Marion Street in New
>York City.  They can both be found in my on-line version of Charles
>Haswell's _Reminiscences of New York by an Octogenarian (1816 - 1860)_ at
>http://www.panix.com/~hal/octo.
>
>Chapter 7 refers to an African-american theater company at Marion and
>Houston about 1824.
>
>Chapter 10 -- a rapid-fire history of the churches of
>New York, mentions Presbyterian church, formerly Universalist, at Marion
>and Prince, which Charles E. Hambrick-Stowe's _Charles G. Finney and the
>Spirit of American Evangelicism_ (p95) describes as the first Presbyterian
>"Free church" (i.e. free seating vs rented pews); set up by Arthur Tappan
>and friends, and initially pastored by Finney.
>
>This pinpoints Marion St to a small area, yet I've consulted modern maps,
>and one early 19th century map, and can't find it.
>
>Is anyone familiar with it? And/or does anyone know a really reliable
>source for answering such questions about New York Streets (or those of
>other cities for that matter) that have vanished or been renamed?
>
>Also, is there a New York history discussion list?
>   (THis has already been answered!)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hal Morris ([log in to unmask])
>'Tales of the Early Republic' (http://www.panix.com/~hal)
>A History Web Site, Focusing on the 1830s-1840s.

I think that your Marion St is now Cleveland Pl., which does exist today.

I checked Hyde's ATLAS,sis, Marion St.

The street runs on a SE/NW diagonal, beginning, it appears, at the north end
of Centre St and ending, according to Hyde's map, at Spring St. To its east
is Mulberry St; to its west, Lafayette.

As Spring St is 2 blocks south of Houston, and 1 block south of Prince, I'm
wondering if Marion St. actually went further north in the years you're
searching than the 1907 Hyde's indicates. Anyway, perhaps this will help!

Best wishes,

Leslie Corn
NYC Research & Genealogy