NYHIST-L Archives

September 2006

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
David Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 07:33:48 -0400
Just to add to Walter's story of the beloved "big oak" on Lloyd Neck, which
I remember from my childhood.

Although Lloyd Neck is attached by a natural, low sand causeway to West Neck
in Huntington Town, it became a part of Oyster Bay Town in the mid-17th
century. When counties were created in 1683, Lloyd Neck became a part of
Queens County, although it was not physically attached to the rest of the
county.

Lloyd Neck was erected as the "Manor of Queens Village" [not to be confused
with the present community of Queens Village] around this time and was owned
by the Lloyd family of Boston. These people were slave owners. Among their
slaves was Jupiter Hammond, one of the earliest published slave poets in the
American Colonies. A few of the Lloyd houses still stand and are listed on
the National Register of Historic Places. A large section of the Neck is now
a state park. This Lloyd family is among the ancestors of President Franklin
D. Roosevelt.

The British built a large fortification during the American Revolution -
Fort Franklin - named not for Ben, but for his son, the Tory governor of New
Jersey- on the Neck near L. I. Sound. It was one of the fortifications
protecting the British base in New York City. A naval battle was fought in
the area between the French coming down fron Newport, R. I., and the British
... 1780 or 1781.

This odd geographic situation existed just over 200 years. In 1886, Lloyd
Neck was annexed to Huntington Town, Suffolk County. As Walter states, the
Neck was added to the northern part of West Neck to become the Village of
Lloyd Harbor in 1923. The present Village, now only in Suffolk County,
contains territory that was before 1886 in both Queens County [Lloyd Neck]
and Suffolk County [northern West Neck].

Since the early 1900s, many large estates belonging to very wealthy people
have been located in the Village. Over the years a number of famous
individuals have lived in the Village.

As Walter says, Lloyd Neck and/or Lloyd Harbor have never had a post office
of their own.

David Roberts
Hollywood, MD