NYHIST-L Archives

November 1999

From:
Tom Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:11:20 -0500
Staff of the State Archives and Records Administration (SARA) were contacted by DEC staff over a year ago about the move. SARA and DEC are working to plan for the management of records during and after the move. Under State law, records cannot be disposed of without the approval of SARA. DEC has one of the best records management programs among state agencies. For more information, especially concerns about specific records, please contact me directly. Thanks!

Tom Mills
Director of Operations
State Archives and Records Administration

>>> Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]> 11/17 10:59 AM >>>
Any chance these materials might be transferred to the State Archives or
similar repository?
Wayne Miller

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I can't answer your question, but I can suggest that with the new undersized DEC building, even the records you were able to find will disappear.  This will be bad tidings for any DEC unit which relies on historical data.  NOTE:  DEC is moving to a new building in a year or two.  There is little room in the new building for files and records.  Employees are being told to cut half of our holdings -- without comperable assistance regarding scanning or sorting.  Much will be lost.
>
> In a message dated Tue, 16 Nov 1999  9:30:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, David Pachan <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > To whom can help,
> >
> > I work for the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation in the department of lands and forests. I have a question concerning the total percent of forested land in New York State befoe the 1900's.
> >
> > Here is what I have so far:
> >
> > Forest land cover figures-- forest land is defined as land with at least 10% stocking of trees of any size, or that formerly had such tree cover and is not currently developed for a non-forest use.
> >
> > Total land area of New York State-- 30.2 million acres
> >
> > 1900-- 7 million acres--appox. 23%
> > 1925-- 9 million acres--approx. 30%
> > 1953--15.1 million acres-- approx. 50%
> > 1968-- 17.3 million acres-- approx. 57%
> > 1980--18.5 million acres--approx. 61%
> > 1993-- 18.6 million acres-- approx. 62%
> >
> > As early as we can go will be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you very much for who ever can assist me.
> >
> > David

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire