From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:47:45 -0400
Hello Ann Marie:

I've forwarded your e-mail to the Research and Collections staff of the
NY State Museum.

I would also recommend speaking to:

New York State Military Heritage Museum and Veterans Research Center,
c/o NYS Div. of Military & Naval Affairs, 61 Lake Avenue, Saratoga
Springs NY 12866.  Phone (518) 583-0184.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/mil-hist.htm

David Palmquist
NY State Museum
518-473-3131

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/23/03 11:27AM >>>
Good morning!

I've recently come across an old flag in a town hall in northwestern
St. Lawrence County that I am trying to identify and also provide some
advice regarding its care and preservation.  The flag measures 14' by
7'
and has 13 stars, 9 in a circle with 1 star in each corner.
Suggestions
I've received on its probable identify include:  1) It's from the War
of
1812; 2) It's a naval flag, because apparently the pattern of stars is
characteristic of the admiralty; 3) It could have belonged to a group
of
Canadian farmers who wanted to be annexed to the
U.S.; 4) It could have been carried by American farmers who invaded
Canada to annex it to the U.S.

Can anyone provide me with the name of an organization that can give
me
a definite answer?  Does anyone have a definite answer?  Also, which
agency, state or federal, provides advice or support for preserving
flags?

Thanks.

Ann Marie Przybyla
New York State Archives