NYHIST-L Archives

May 2005

From:
"Monje, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 16:02:53 -0400
I recall reading somewhere, perhaps the Ellis Island web site, that immigration officials deny that they ever changed anyone's name. They claim they took the names as they appeared on the passenger manifest and, if names were changed, people did it themselves to assimilate.

My grandfather also came from Holland without his name, Monje, being changed. His ancestors, however, had changed it from a French spelling (variously Monie, Monier, Monnier) one or two generations after coming to Holland, evidently to keep the French pronunciation in Dutch phonetics.

Best,
Scott Monje