NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

From:
"Vee L. Housman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:49:01 +0100
Althought I can't answer WHY some people continued to use the British
system of money, in the 1819-1872 records of a local school district in
Niagara Co., that I transcribed, in 1841, 1843 and 1847, it was recorded
that the price per cord of wood needed for the schoolhouse was 12
shillings (written as "12/").  Before and after that, the amount of
money was written in dollars and cents.  My only conclusion is that the
"oldtimers" continued to think and/or deal in those terms.

Vee Housman
Trustee, Town of Porter Historical Society
Youngstown, NY