To Ed and others, I recently discovered a resource that might be of help (I haven't been there for several weeks, so don't have more details) but it's a site called "Reminiscences of New York by an Octogenarian (1816 - 1860)". The URL is: http://www.panix.com/~hal/octo/octo-toc.htm I may have learned of it through this list and so may be repeating previous information, but it's probably worth a look to see if it covers NYC docks for the mid-nineteenth century. Good luck. David >Hi, >Would like to know a point about passenger ocean line discharge at NYC >piers circa 1850. Most ocean terminal piers and wharves on the East River >were used by sailing vessels, while steamers mostly used the North River. >However, is anyone aware of steamships having used piers in common with >sailing ships, or was there a prohibitive aspect to this? > >(This question relates specifically to the Black Ball Line's only steamer >(SS United States). Am trying to determine if they had to dock it >elsewhere other than their regular sailing ship pier 23, now the site of >the South Street Seaport.) > >E M David Minor Eagles Byte Historical Research Rochester, New York 716 264-0423 <<[log in to unmask]> <