From: JolleyAlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 12:39:22 EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Jerry Rescue and Martin Stowell of Worcester

I have made significant progress in researching the life of Martin Stowel=
l=0A(1824-1862).  My main source for the Jerry Rescue at the American Ant=
iquarian=0ASociety  has been Earl E. Sperry, The Jerry Rescue, October 1,=
 1851. Stowell=0Awas subsequently a leader in the attempt to free Anthony=
 Burns and ultimately=0Athe one responsible for the death of the Deputy M=
arshal.  I have a 25 page=0Adraft on Stowell's involvement in these activ=
ities.=0A=0AVarious sources speak of Stowell's leadership role in the aff=
air but I have=0Afound nothing in Syracuse accounts.  Here are some of my=
 other sources:  Ann=0AWeston was the cousin of Ann Greene Phillips, the =
wife of Wendell Phillips.=0AWeston had anti-slavery credentials of her ow=
n, she and her sister Caroline=0Aran a racially integrated elementary sch=
ool on Boylston Street in Boston.  Ann=0Awas present in the Phillips hous=
ehold during the Burns Affair and while=0Awriting about that event identi=
fied Martin Stowell and his reputation in the=0AJerry Rescue.  See Procee=
dings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Vol.=0AXLIV, October 1910-=
June 1911, (Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society,=0A1911), 328.  Edel=
stein also refers to Stowell=92s role in the Jerry affair but=0Adoes not =
document his assertion. Edelstein, Strange Enthusiasm (Biography of=0AT. =
W. Higginson), 129.=0A=0AI know that a convention of abolitionists was be=
ing held in Syracuse at the=0Atime and I suspect that may be the reason S=
towell was on the scene.=0A=0AHopefully the topic interests you or you mi=
ght forward this message along.  =0A=0AMany Thanks,=0ABob Cormier=0AShrew=
sbury Massachusetts=0A