From: [log in to unmask]
Date:   Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:00:29 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: hospital ships in and about New York state

I am an historian writing a history of hospital ships from around the
world.  I am also the founder of Hospital Ship International (H.S.I.).
I have the following research requests for assistance and I hope that you
know of sources,institutions,persons who can help me directly and
specifically,viz.:

1)  What documentation exists on the British prison hopsital ships for the
American Revolutionary War?  I have come across a fascinating 1780's
printed long poem on the horrors of these British hospital ships and I
know that N.Y.H.S.collections have scattered references to them perhaps
the most famous being the former 64 gun Jersey.

2)  What similar materials,etc... exists on all New York City floating
hospitals?  In particular where are the archives and primary records of
the St.John's Floating Hospital sponsored by St.John's Guild?  I have not
been able to trace any of the primary/archival materials only scattered
reports in N.Y.State Library in
Albany,N.Y. and N.Y.P.L. catalogues.

3)  What records primary especially and illustrations of any and all kinds
exist to document New York State's and N.Y.City's U.S.Sanitary Commission
hospital ships during the civil War?  N.Y.P.L. has apparently mother lode
but what about other N.Y.C.and state record depositories?  What about
pictures,photos,newspaper illustrations of these vessels such as the
St.Mark and Euturpe(spelling?)

4)  What materials may exist in N.Y.City Museum and/or Port Archives(?)
for World War I to date re smaller ambulance boats employed by either
U.S.Navy and/or Army for local marine ambulance services?

5)  What state hospital boats existed prior to 1914?  I believe that in
1913 the State legislature in Albany passed(?) a member's bill for
furnishing such vessels,barges,boats.

Tx all,
John Gilinsky
P.O.Box 481,Station P,