From:     Self <MUSEUM/SBIELINS>
To:       [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Conference on New York State History
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 16:12:25 EDT

Date sent:      Thursday 23 May 1996 14:09:02 EDT
Send reply to:  [log in to unmask]
From:           "Stefan Bielinski" <[log in to unmask]>
To:             [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Conference on New York State History - last call!

Walk-in Registrations welcome!

Conference on New York State History
June 7-8, 1996

    The 1996 conference at SUNY New Paltz features eleven
presentation panels and a keynote address.  Session titles
are:

Friday, June 7:

    Survivors:  Women in the 18th Century
    Cultures of Depression-Era Ideologies
    Economics of Community Founding
    Identity and Work:  New York Labor Activists
    Advancing State Control over Local Schooling
    Political Unrest in 19th Century New York City
    Doctrines & Deviants:  Church Discipline in NYS

Alexander C. Flick Lecture in New York State History

    The Piano Makers:  Labor Relations at Steinway & Sons
        Richard K. Lieberman, La Guardia and Wagner Archives, CUNY

Saturday, June 8:

    Settlement of the Hudson Valley and the Catskills
    Men's Work in Imperial New York
    The Founding Fathers at Odds
    Memorializing and Demonizing (monuments and revisionism)

    All historians of New York are most welcome!

   For a conference flyer, program information, registration,
transportation, and lodging information contact Stefan Bielinski at
(518) 474-6917 (leave message); or [log in to unmask]

    History publishers and historical organizations will
sponsor informational exhibits.

    In addition, our New Paltz hosts have arranged pre and post-
conference activities that will provide additional social and
intellectual opportunities.