Christopher,

I think that was a very good question and I didn’t see an answer to it.  I volunteered one day a week for over 20 years in the State Library for the CDGS desk, and I think local newspapers might be your best bet.  But there is a good law collection at the State Library and there are many annual reports books like the Board of Supervisors books that might help.  It’s a lot more work, but it’s better than nothing.  There is also a boxed collection, I think officially called a pamphlet collection in the local history section.  It’s organized by location and has some interesting stuff in it.  Years ago Clare McCann and I repackaged it.  Some of the stuff was lost while it was floating around, but there is some very helpful material in there.  It was a really fun job.

There is a collection of laws in, I think and I’ve forgotten the name, but it’s the slides of film so you can check to see what the law of a period you’re researching was in effect relative to divorce or marriage, or whatever. Is the word microfiche?  It’s been a long time, almost 20 years now since I’ve worked in there and I haven’t used that.  Sean might know where to find it, if he’s still there. That’s for the whole of NYS and might have some of the information you seek.

Marie Hoffman