Bringing Fabius History to Your Living Room

For 35+ years members of the Fabius Historical Society have been collecting, copying and digitizing, photos, records and scrapbooks.  Each year the society displays some of the collection on Memorial Day but has never had space enough to display everything.  Few people even know the vast extent of our collection and here is a chance to learn more.

The first Historical Society meeting January 2nd 2016 at 1pm at the Fabius Community Center, Route 80 in the Village, Bill Casey and Vaughn Skinner will demonstrate the efforts the society is making to store and display  the collection.  This demonstration about our local history will show that our collection can be viewed, copied, downloaded or printed as easily as reading email or doing a Google search, well almost as easy!

The project will never be completely finished as “new to the collection items” always will appear, but loaded and ready for viewing are past newsletters (contain some great research information), vintage area photographs, obituary collections, historical maps of our town, the tribute collection of David Pilcher’s artwork, Fabius-Pompey Alumni Directory, Fabius Town Records, and best of all, much of the 60+ scrapbook collection.  In the presentation, Bill & Vaughn will demonstrate how the scrapbook materials are nondestructively digitized and loaded for public viewing.  As this digitizing of materials is very time consuming, we are always looking to involve more people.

We hope you can attend this Saturday January 2nd 1pm presentation and learn to make full use of the Society’s Fabius History collections.  Please consider bringing a young person or people, to come with you, since this may be a good opportunity to develop an interest in history for the younger generation.

Just want to view the collection use the weblink: http://tinyurl.com/odcv5hw.

Posted by:

Bill Casey

Bill Casey