I am looking for suggestions for where I might find street photos of NYC
at the turn of the last century. For an article I am writing, I am
trying to find photographs of a fascinating business that moved to
several different addresses in the Greeley Square area of Manhattan from
1882 to about 1905. This was the business of Back Number Budd, an
African American dealer in old newspapers. Although all descriptions
show him operating in basements, some mention a window or display at
street level, and I am hoping to find a photo of one of these sites. I
have the addresses themselves and the dates he was at each from the city
directories, but I have not yet located any photos of his business.

I have already gone through the street photo collections of the New-York
Historical Society, the New York Public Library, the online collection
of the Museum of the City of New York, and the Library of Congress's
digitized collection of the Detroit Publishing Company's glass
negatives. The NYC archive real estate photos only go back to the 1930s,
as I understand it.

Are there other repositories of street photos from this period,
preferably searchable by location and/or date?

Thanks,
Ellen

--
Ellen Gruber Garvey, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English, New Jersey City University

Author, /Writing with Scissors: American Scrapbooks from the Civil War
to the Harlem Renaissance
<http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/?view=usa&ci=9780199927692>/
Visit the Scrapbook History website <http://scrapbookhistory.wordpress.com/>