I have a number of references to the New York City Alms House, mostly from
the late 1820s and early 1830s.  A number come from a remarkable
muck-raking newspaper of 1830 called the Owl.  Few issues survive of
probably not many published, all at the American Antiquarian Society.

A sample:

            Mr. Owl, *** I am a pauper at the Bellevue Almshouse and have
been so for some years, and am a hard working man.  My wife is also in this
establishment.  However hard my treatment is, there is nothing I complain
of so severely as the circumstance of being separated from my wife who
sleeps in a different part of the house.  There are many married people in
exactly similar circumstances to mine.  A MARRIED MAN.
            The Owl, September 25, 1830 (I:16) p. 1, cols. 2-3

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.