From: library [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:11 PM
To: Schmitz, Jon; Marybelle Beigh ([log in to unmask]); Higginbotham Donna - Sherman historian; Henry, Michelle; Wright, June - Mina Historian; Howe Sweeting, Sharon; Ron Nagy ([log in to unmask]); Cessna, Barb; 'McClurg Museum'; Sipos, John; Clark, Cherrie Town of Ellery Historian; Thompson, B. Dolores; Livsey, Karen; Frank Schneider ([log in to unmask]); Davis, George; Langworthy, Todd; Stahley, Mary Jane (Bemus Pt Historian); Martonis Vince (Hanover Historian) ([log in to unmask]); Burgett, June; Taylor, Devon; heath, Peggy - Gerry Historian; Brown, Pam (Panama Historian); Rhebergen, Suzanne - Clymer Historian; Brown, Pam at JPS; Boltz, Jim; Chiappone, Susan Silver Creek Historian; langworthy, Todd - Pomfret Historian; Thomas, Dan; Nichols, Ruth
Subject: Re: FW: [NYHIST-L] Early History of Distilling in New York State

     We have Stiller's Alley in the oldest part of Jamestown. It wasn't called that for nothing. There is very brief mention of the distillery in Young's History, perhaps others. I'll bet the Foote papers have something. There is frequent reference to whiskey as cargo on the keelboats so we can conclude local production did not come close to meeting the demand. There was far more attention given to preserving the early history of temperance.
Norman Carlson, Fenton Museum