Does anyone on this list study 17th-century shorthand or know someone I could contact?

There is a line of shorthand I hope to decipher. I have begun reading about early British shorthand and I do have a very general awareness of how to proceed (like trying to identify the shorthand system used). My goal in posting to this list is to correspond with someone who has deciphered 17th-century shorthand or is interested in 17th-century shorthand and can give me some advice/suggestions/shortcuts.

The line of shorthand is on the back of the only known copy of the 1654 Thomas Pell land purchase document (housed at the Thompson Pell Research Center, Fort Ticonderoga). The line begins with the date September 20, 1660 followed by twelve symbols. I visited the research center in September 2011 to view the document and I did take pictures. The line of shorthand was a surprise.

The document at the research center is probably the 1655 copy Pell mentioned in a 1666 letter. The writer of the shorthand is not known; the word September does not match Thomas Pell's handwriting. It appears the document was sent to England. At this time I am guessing it was Thomas' brother John Pell who wrote the shorthand. I am also guessing the document was to sent to provide proof of John's son John Jr.'s future inheritance.

I am in the process of obtaining copies of John Pell's handwriting (from his manuscripts) which hopefully will include some shorthand.

Thank you,

Rebecca Walch

Highland, Utah