This email is a follow-up to my email regarding the 17th-century shorthand on the back of the copy of Thomas Pell's 1654 Indian-land-purchase document:  the shorthand has been deciphered.

Last Tuesday, I read about the Roger Williams shorthand project at Brown University.  I emailed the library asking if there was anyone at Brown who could help me and I attached a picture of the shorthand.  On Wednesday at noon, I received an email from Lucas Mason-Brown, "I am an undergraduate at Brown concentrating in mathematics. I have some experience with 17th century codes, and I was responsible for breaking the "Roger Williams cipher" about six months ago. I would be happy to take a look at the shorthand you sent me."  That evening Lucas emailed again, "The shorthand here is almost certainly derived from John Willis' 1602 "Stenographie," a popular 17th century shorthand scheme. I believe it says something like: "September 20 1660 Roger Ludlow Esquire examined this paper for me John Pell". There is a possibility that what I have translated as "me" actually translates to "my," which would perhaps change the meaning.

In 1660

Thomas' brother John Pell (1611-1685) was in possession of the document now at the Thompson Pell Research Center.

New Netherland was in control of the land Thomas bought.

Roger Ludlow lived in Dublin, Ireland and was an adjudicator of property-law matters.

Thomas' stepson Nathaniel Brewster was married to Roger Ludlow's daughter Sarah; they married between 1656 and 1660.

Rebecca Walch

Highland, Utah