Hello-

I am contacting you at the suggestion of Robert Weible, State Historian and Chief Curator New York State Museum.

My mother, Dorothy Jandrew, was town historian for Dickinson Center, New York, for many years.  I am helping her do research for a book on the history of Dickinson Center.

Records show Town Supervisors, Assessors, etc.  However, there is an 1809 listing for an official entitled "Foremaster."  I cannot find a reference to this anywhere and was wondering if you can tell me what the duties of a town Foremaster were?

Also, I would like to obtain a "job description" (of sorts) or list of duties of a Town Supervisor during the 1800's.  Do you know of any resources for me?

In fact, any information regarding Dickinson Center would be most welcome.

Sincerely,

Wanda Parker