To Whom It May Concern

Apparently earlier this week the Big Springs Historical Society in
Caledonia was "hit" by a thief again. I don't have a description of all that was
taken and photos of the items. Some of that will be available later today I
think. But I thought it best to get out information on the way the theft was
 conducted as soon as possible as the thief may still be working some of
the  museums in the area.

A single white male came into the museum, where there was only a  single
docent working. He had a story of a lost dog and a flyer to match the  loss.
While he was there he asked if he could look around. The museum is two
floors. While he was on the second floor, alone, he cut the lock off one or more
of the cases and took several items. The only item I know of...so far...was
a  Nazi helmet and a Civil War era surgeon's kit. We may have more details
and  perhaps photos to send around later.

Be aware if you are connected to a small museum that this is going  on.
From what I am told it is not wise to try to stop the person yourself.
However, be a good witness. Is someone like this comes in, while they are  touring
call you local police agency. Try to remember a good description of the
individual that will help police, glasses, beard/clean shaven, perhaps a
tattoo,  the color and logos that might be on their clothing...and best of all a
car  license number.

I will send out more descriptive wise as soon as it comes my  way.

Ok, here is the statement from the museum.

On Sunday afternoon this past weekend, the Big  Springs Museum in Caledonia
(20 miles southwest of Rochester) was the victim of  a  theft which was
discovered last night.  The museum was robbed while  staffed, of several
military objects including a Civil War Era surgical Kit  (Wade and Ford Set C
1861), a Nazi helmet, several WWII era medals, and two  Hitler Youth knives.  We
are trying to locate photographs to  share.

The perpetrator distracted our docent.  The objects were in  locked cases,
and the locks were cut.

Please be on the alert for this  type of event in your museum.

Thank you.

Jean Guthrie, Big Springs  Museum

Les Buell
315-589-9776