David,

I don’t recall any specific instance, but a category of maps that was probably intended for public display is postal route maps. Post offices would have hung them for ready reference.

Abraham Bradley, Jr.’s frequently re-issued Map of the United States, Exhibiting the Post-Roads, etc. is from 1804, so we know that this sort of map was available.

Herman Moll’s book-published New England, New York, New Jersey and Pensilvania, etc. of 1729 was perhaps too small (7 7/8” x 10 3/4”) for public display, but it had an early description of the Philadelphia to Boston post road including a list of all the post offices at that time as well as the weekly schedule.

David Burr, who earlier was a protégé of the NYS Surveyor-General Simeon DeWitt, created maps for the US Post Office in the 1830s which showed color-coded frequency of service as well as routes.

Interesting topic, please tell us what you find out. (I almost wrote “keep us posted.”)

Edward Knoblauch