Greetings All!

I am a filmmaker working on a documentary video project about Mame Faye, a
madame who lived in Troy, NY and ran a brothel on Troy's 'line' (red light
district) at the turn of the century up until around 1943.

For the project we are interviewing and collecting oral histories from
people who have stories about times on 'the line' as well as from people who
have heard stories as passed down through the generations.

If anyone has any information on written documentation on red light
districts in and around NYS at the turn of the century or any information on
Troy's thriving red light district, or Mame Faye herself, or other Madames
from troy, and that time, I would greatly appreciate anything offered!

More info on project:
-----------------

Mame Faye did not exist.  At least that's what the history books would have
you believe.  Prostitutes and madams, no matter how well-known or
successful, are not part of legitimate history.  But the oldtimers of Troy,
New York insist that Mame Faye did exist.  It would seem everyone past the
age of retirement in Troy has a story – funny, sordid, unbelievable,
apocryphal – about Mame.  Together, these previously unrecorded oral
histories tell a rich tale of a booming industrial city's complex
relationship to its own seedy side at the end of the Victorian era that was
Troy's heyday.

*Sitting on a Million* is an experimental documentary (digital video;
estimated length 30:00) centered around this colorful lady from Troy's past.
With nods to unlikely influences such as Howard Zinn, Xaviera Hollander (the
"Happy Hooker") and Miranda July, *Sitting on a Million* is a blend of oral
history, wild speculation, unreliable narrators and reenactments bringing to
life the spirit of this forgotten woman.  In the realm of Mame's story, tall
tales, rumors and urban myths vie with newspaper records for
legitimacy.  Accounts
contradict one another.  Two pictures identified as Mame Faye do not appear
to be of the same person.  People shed tears at the memory of events that
likely never occurred. * *In this way the video actively deconstructs the
received wisdom of history textbooks and asks the viewer to consider the
role of memory and imagination in creating history.

This work is a collaboration between myself (Annmarie Lanesey) and Penny
Lane (both CV's attached).  Thus far we have collected videotaped personal
remembrances of Mame from over 30 of Troy's elder citizens.  We have
commissioned the Uncle Sam Chorus, a local barbershop quartet to record
songs in Mame's honor, mostly Irish love songs and funeral dirges (our lady
was a devout Irish Catholic).  Bits of Mame's estate have turned up around
town: an outrageously huge ruby ring, an armoire, her hand-carved oak bed.  We
are working with her sole remaining relatives, who were not aware of their
family connection until we contacted them, to photograph clothes, paintings
and other relics long lost in the attic. Most recently, her gravestone,
unmarked for 63 years (since her death) was finally engraved with the name
of the legendary woman who lies beneath it.

*Sitting on a Million* asks the viewer to think beyond pre-conceived notions
about what a 'documentary' about prostitution would be like.  We are neither
dwelling on the salacious details of who did what to whom behind which doors
nor are we attempting a simplified-sex-positive-revisionist-history that
paints prostitution as an empowering act (though Mame was by all accounts a
strong woman in a time when the words 'strong' and 'woman' didn't go hand in
hand).  Because of these characteristics, we see a very broad audience for
this piece made up of folks in both local and international contexts,
comprised of folks with feminist leanings, history buffs, postmodern
theorists, and senior citizens who will be pleased to see some respectful
representation of their generation.
--
ANNMARIE LANESEY

http://www.mamefaye.com