Hello List Members:

I received this email from a friend and thought I would pass it along. It underscores the importance of having a plan in place to protect our history in times of natural disaster. Please see below.

Karlyn Knaust Elia
Ulster County Historian

To all my Holland Society fellow members

The priceless collection of Bergen Dutch artifacts owned by the Bergen County Historical Society was left to the ravages of flood waters.....

This is the first time in Bergen County Historical Society history (105 years) any item was lost due to flooding.

Major damage was sustained to much of the collection (including our 17th century Dutch Kas, and most of our documents in our safe).

Please see our web page for photos of the devastation (bergencountyhistory.org).

Here is a link to an article in the Bergen Record on the damage http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0OSZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NzEyMTUxMCZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTM=.

Karlyn Knaust Elia
Ulster County Historian
11 Main Street