Hi!
This is a project I have been working on called the Subliminal History of New York State. This is briefly about land as living and having its own agency, as well as the dialog we as human kind are in with it. About this project:
http://www.dashow.net/pictures/story.html

This Thursday in NY at Gigantic ArtSpace (a small gallery on 59 Franklin Street)
We will be hosting a Shape Note Singing workshop and Under Island, the story of Roosevelt Island. See below or better yet the link tell you more about the story.

 Perhaps this peeks your interest!
This is not the last you will hear as we are planning a summer
caravan like tour throughout upstate
(specifically the Hudson River to Erie Canal and then to Lake Erie)
 uncovering more subliminal, interpreted, land as agent and non written histories
via multicamera video shoots with local parties, performance and shape note singing.
The website will be more up to date soon.
http://www.subliminalstate.org
We will be looking for historians and cultural center to work with so please get in touch
if any of this interests you and you would like to know more
Best,
Carrie Dashow

January 11th, 2007,
Come be a part of The Subliminal History of New York State!
Featuring:
Under Island

A story of New York, as never told in this very way before.
at Gigantic ArtSpace
as a concluding event of the “Special Reconnaissance_”  exhibition (closing January 19th)

THURSDAY: JANUARY 11th, 2007
At Gigantic ArtSpace
59 Franklin Street, Manhattan Island.
http://www.giganticartspace.com/

First
1.
WORKSHOP
5-7 pm Shape Note singing workshop, learn how to sing shape note music with Jesse Pearlman Karlsberg and participate in the 7:30 pm Under Island participatory performance. Shape note music is a traditional community based singing style popular in upstate NY in the 1800’s. http://shapenote.silversand.org/

Second
2.
PERFORMANCE
7:30 pm Under Island the first chapter in the "The Subliminal History of New York State."
Story and singing participatory performance, (meaning, I won’t be the only one talking!) about the living land of Roosevelt Island.

This story began as a project with Matt Bua and Jesse Bercowetz through Grizedale Arts at PS 1 and on Roosevelt Island in 2004. You may have caught parts of it then perhaps as a camper van in the courtyard or a lecture.
But never like this before!

The performance is a participatory, (passover seder like) story telling, singing and what not event.
Gigantic is not so big, so come early so you can stand in a good spot longer!

Under Island, a participatory shape note singing performance from Dashow's ongoing project "The Subliminal History of New York State." About the project: "As Roosevelt Island gains sight through a lighthouse, first built as an illusionary fort by an insane inmate, the island now sees as well as is seen. With new vision the island develops a desire to leave the East River. Once the empty and controversial South End is developed, it does. In an alternate time of now, condensing past, present and future, it embarks on a journey up the Hudson, onto the Erie Canal, following this Empire State's (and thus the United States')route of progress. An itinerant island traveling through the forgone, short-lived industrialization of upstate, eventually finding itself in the shallow dead waters of Lake Erie, known for its torrential waterspouts."

Extra Extra!
There are also a bunch of new Things to show off, if you haven’t already seen the silkscreen book you can now and I will be performing parts from it.  Also, a new cd made by myself and Jesse Pearlman Karlsberg http://subliminalstate.org/underisland/under-island-cd.php
of 11 of the songs from Under Island (some to be sung at the event)
and the first issue of Subliminal Statements, Society for a Subliminal State’s inaugural Newsletter.
http://www.subliminalstate.org/

If you haven’t seen the Under Island book, this is a great time to squeeze into Gigantic!
Jesse and I also recently made with GAS, a real nice cd of some of the songs in the book, ones that will be sung at the performance. This is a special artsy one with your own little booklet and silkscreened by me.

***