International Tribes, Scribes and Vibes Meet in Boston

August 30 through September 2, 2006, the Hynes Convention Center will be
hosting the largest genealogy conference ever held, celebrating Boston
as "The Birthplace of American Genealogy". The New England Historic
Genealogical Society, founded in 1845, will be the local host society
for the 2006 Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference.

This landmark conference offers more than 500 lectures, exhibits and
events across a spectrum of ethnic and country origins, as well as
signifigant historical eras. The Hynes center capacity provides a
comfortable multi-block seamless indoor complex with numerous features.

     Program Outline http://fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006.htm
     Exhibitors http://fgs.org/2006conf/conf-exhibitors.asp
     Hynes convention Center http://www.advantageboston.com/HCC
     Conference Blog http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/

Attendees have the advantage of moderate sized lecture audiences with so
many choices spread amongst the attendees, as well as the sprawling
vendor exhibits, attached Prudential Center and Sheraton shopping and
eating complexes, for convenient forays and respites or protection from
inclement weather.

For those having trouble deciding which lecture to attend across 20
simulataneous tracts there is also the option of downloadable digital
recordings for the ones they missed - augmented by the four volume
syllabus of supporting material.

The program tracks provide choices for both beginners and advanced
researchers, including several professional training programs.
Opportunities abound for researching numerous tribes and clans of ethnic
and country origin along with the latest news in records access
advancements and the extraordinary synergy of matching the right
researcher or resource for family historians.

Advance registration is available online at
http://fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006.htm or at the Hynes, beginning on
Tuesday August 29, 3PM-7PM and each day through September 2.

Transportation, lodging, touring, special conference events, additional
meal reservations and other logistical tips are being updated daily at
http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/

Quick Reference and Planning Sheets
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/gridbrochure.pdf

Notable and Infamous Kin, Politics and Connections

Boston's own George Cheevers, a 6 foot ten Abraham Lincoln reenactor and
Greater Boston Civil War Roundtable contributor, will be greeting
registrants during the August 29 pre-registration from 3PM-7PM at the
Hynes. Lincoln's colonial roots in Hingham, Massachusetts and his
campaign visits to Dorchester and other parts of New England are one
small example of how the history of each of our families create a fabric
of connections over time between the common man and the notable.

This 2006 FGS Boston tribute to Lincoln's ties will expand in 2007 when
the FGS conference is hosted in Fort Wayne, Indiana - the home of one
Lincoln Museum, leading up to the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial
commemoration of this pivotal era in US history.

Find out more about "New Discoveries in Royal Descent, Presidential,
Mayflower, and Notable Kin Genealogy" from Gary Boyd Roberts, "Untapped
Resources: Your Ancestors' Political Affiliations" from D. Joshua
Taylor,  as well as opportunities to learn more about the Civil War
resources with Greater Boston Civil War Roundtable president David L
Smith and numerous other individual lecture topics.

If you are interested in learning more about how to evaluate your
family's infamous connections, "Witches, Rakes, and Rogues: Scandals
from Boston's Colonial Past" by D. Brenton Simons and many other fine
lectures may help you sort out such "family secrets". Seaman and
military deserters, Revolutionary War Loyalist "traitors" or even
divorces and scandalous newspaper articles, are better understood when
you know more about the historical context.

International Digitization Projects
======================================

Millions of family history researchers have created a grassroots army of
independent scholars fueling the digitization of original source
documents and revealing fresh insights into the growth of our nation
through it's people.

Dr. Allen Weinstein, the Archivist of the US, will speak about the US
National Archives digitization plans followed by New England Historic
Genealogical Society President and CEO D. Brenton Simons' presentation
of the Society's digitization plans
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/opening-session-archivist-of-united.html

Specific resources and research opportunities will be addressed by
delegations from the National Archives of Canada, Ireland, England,
Wales, Scotland as well as the US. The British Isles, Canadian and Irish
research tracks also include experts from many other organizations.

New England and New York Regional resources are featured in the tracks
sponsored by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, the New
England Regional Genealogical Conference and the USGenweb project.

Readex, a Newsbank Company, will preview the public release of their
"America's GenealogyBank"  collaboration with the American Antiquarian
Society, providing digital images and advanced search techniques for
unprecedented access to 17th through the 20th century publications,
documents and maps.

Pedigrees and Potpourris
========================

Concentrations also include experts in research methodologies and group
migration patterns for the US Northeast and the eastern Provinces of
Canada. Four centuries of intertwining origins and families has created
a multi-dimensional and complex family forest for many researchers.

Sandra Devlin, the late award-winning Canadian journalist, wrote many
inspirational articles to help readers who felt "hopelessly caught up in
the undergrowth" of their family trees. A 1979 excerpt includes Devlin's
characteristic imagery and humor:

"Perhaps it is fitting that as the Gathering of the Clans was drawing to
its conclusion — quite by chance I discovered that some of my roots are
steeped in rich Scottish heritage.  All the while I thought I had been
absorbing by osmosis the distinct romance and zeal of the Scottish
appeal — when actually my wee drop of Scottish blood was floating on the
top and revealing in the skirl of the bagpipes and the swish of the tartan.

If the truth be known, I am one of the lucky ones who is able to join,
by virtue of blood lines, in many ethnic festivities. ...

For Oktoberfest, I can don the dirndl or leiderhosen, polka to the wee
small hours and stuff myself with weiner snitzel and sauerkraut and feel
just wunderbar.

I can spread the blarney with the best of my Irish kinsmen and by
wearin’ of the green on St. Patrick’s Day can brandish my shillelagh at
anyone who would deny me my share of Irish luck, (and temper)!

With a stiff upper lip, I can claim the protection of good old St.
George, patron saint of England and circle on the calendar Guy Fawkes
Day, St. Swithin’s Day and Shrove Tuesday for commemoration."

Devlin also proposed a alternate clan gathering where members must prove
"uniformity of their heritage has been jumbled by no less than three
generations of ancestors who reproduced without a second thought to the
resultant conundrum. We will rally about a crazy quilt flag.  Our flower
will be a hybrid tea rose and our ethnic fare will be hodgepodge stew."

The 2006 FGS Conference in Boston promises to fulfill Sandra Devlin's
1979 exhuberant prophesy.

Rediscovering Lost Heritage
============================

Each historic era also includes grim revelations about those who
suffered and were severed from their families by wars and prejudice.

Survivors of the Holocaust and the researchers who help them find their
roots and other living relatives, have a particularly poignant task.
Marika Barnett of Stow, Massachusetts is a Hungarian child survivor and
will introduce Avotaynu's Gary Mokotoff when he presents "How to
Document Victims and Locate Survivors of the Holocaust", including a
vignette of Evelyne, a Belgian child survivor.

Many African American research experts are providing opportunities for
interlocking puzzle pieces of heritage that may no longer be lost.
Portmouth, New Hampshire's Valerie Cunningham, an award-winning historic
preservationist, author and railroad enthusiast will introduce Tony
Burroughs' presentation on "Researching Pullman Porters: Railroad
Records for African Americans", and Cherry Bamberg's "People of Color at
Warwick, RI in 1774". Paul Bunnell, American Revolution Loyalist
researcher and author, has identified many Black Loyalist records and is
just beginning to track one grandaughter's Mississippi family in 20th
century records. Paul Bunnell will introduce Tony Burroughs'
presentation "Southern Blacks in New England Records" and listen for
clues in such post Civil War records.

Irish researchers who believe it is impossibie to ever find their "Mary
Kelly" or "Michael Murphy" will find four complete program tracks and an
Irish Pavillion in the exhibit hall with an astounding number of
resources and experts. Of particular note is the Irish Ordnance Survey
release of an online service for access to the 19th century detailed
maps of more than 60,000 townlands in Ireland, as well as the Griffith's
Valuation workshops where owners and renters of 19th century property
can be found and linked to their American descendants.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/irish-pavilion-exhibit-irish-lectures.html

Researchers who are struggling to follow the Family Medical History
recommendations made by the US Surgeon General to explore collateral
family health histories may be particularly interested in the
Massachusetts Genealogical Council sponsored panel discussion "Keeping
Public Records Open for Genealogical Research: What Do We Need to Do?"

Professional Training, Advanced Methodology, Library and Society Education

Several comprehensive professional development tracks are offered
throughout the conference by the Association of Professional
Genealogists, the Board for Certification of Genealogists and the
International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists.

Additional tracks focus on speaking and writing skills, as well as
concentrations in researching women and creating youth programs.

Various advanced methodology and problem solving topics are available
every day. Land platting, Griffith's Valuation of Ireland and Photo
Identification workshops provide in depth workshop sessions.

Individual researchers may also sign up for a consultation with an
expert during the two day Ancestor's Road Show sponsored by the
Association of Professional
Genealogists.http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/do-you-have-research-brick-wall.html

The Librarian's Day track provides tips and resources for librarian's to
better serve their family history patrons.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/librarians-day-at-fgsnehgs-conference.html

Six tracks address the management and organizational needs of societies
and archives, while several others provide topics for online
collaborations with the USGenweb project.

Fun Stuff for Genealogists
===========================

Luncheons, Banquets and special events provide entertaining and
educational opportunities to socialize and have the kind of
serendipitous discoveries that conference goers rave about when a
stranger turns into a long lost cousin.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/already-registered-need-to-add.html

GoBoston has provided a special discount for conference attendees who
want to take advantage of Boston's famed Duck Tours and more than 60
other local attractions.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/go-boston-card-special-pricing-for-fgs.html

The queen bee of more than 500 fun and useful items for genealogists is
Indiana's Bev Petersen who's www.funstuffforgenealogists.com booth
provides just one of the many conference exhibitor shopping opportunties.
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/conf-exhibitors.asp

You don't have to be Irish to join the Irish Ancestral Research
Association's Thursday night Genealogy Table Quiz event
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-dont-have-to-be-irish-to-join.html

Actors from the Boston History Collaborative will be presenting
vignettes about famous Boston inventions at the FGS banquet
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/one-more-conference-highlight-fgs.html

You can also help out as a volunteer for the 2006 FGS/NEHGS Conference
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006_volunteer.htm

Need additional info?
Contact FGS National Publicity Chair Paula Stuart Warren at
Or check the Conference Blog for more late breaking news
http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/