International Tribes, Scribes and Vibes Meet in  Boston

August  30 through September 2, 2006, the Hynes Convention Center will be
hosting the  largest genealogy conference ever held, celebrating Boston
as "The Birthplace  of American Genealogy". The New England Historic
Genealogical Society,  founded in 1845, will be the local host society
for the 2006 Federation of  Genealogical Societies Conference.

This landmark conference offers more  than 500 lectures, exhibits and
events across a spectrum of ethnic and  country origins, as well as
signifigant historical eras. The Hynes center  capacity provides a
comfortable multi-block seamless indoor complex with  numerous features.

Program Outline  http://fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006.htm
Exhibitors  http://fgs.org/2006conf/conf-exhibitors.asp
Hynes  convention Center http://www.advantageboston.com/HCC
Conference Blog http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/

Attendees have the  advantage of moderate sized lecture audiences with so
many choices spread  amongst the attendees, as well as the sprawling
vendor exhibits, attached  Prudential Center and Sheraton shopping and
eating complexes, for convenient  forays and respites or protection from
inclement weather.

For those  having trouble deciding which lecture to attend across 20
simulataneous  tracts there is also the option of downloadable digital
recordings for the  ones they missed - augmented by the four volume
syllabus of supporting  material.

The program tracks provide choices for both beginners and  advanced
researchers, including several professional training  programs.
Opportunities abound for researching numerous tribes and clans of  ethnic
and country origin along with the latest news in records  access
advancements and the extraordinary synergy of matching the  right
researcher or resource for family historians.

Advance  registration is available online at
http://fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006.htm or  at the Hynes, beginning on
Tuesday August 29, 3PM-7PM and each day through  September 2.

Transportation, lodging, touring, special conference events,  additional
meal reservations and other logistical tips are being updated  daily at
http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/

Quick Reference and  Planning  Sheets
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/gridbrochure.pdf

Notable and  Infamous Kin, Politics and  Connections

Boston's  own George Cheevers, a 6 foot ten Abraham Lincoln reenactor and
Greater  Boston Civil War Roundtable contributor, will be greeting
registrants during  the August 29 pre-registration from 3PM-7PM at the
Hynes. Lincoln's colonial  roots in Hingham, Massachusetts and his
campaign visits to Dorchester and  other parts of New England are one
small example of how the history of each  of our families create a fabric
of connections over time between the common  man and the notable.

This 2006 FGS Boston tribute to Lincoln's ties will  expand in 2007 when
the FGS conference is hosted in Fort Wayne, Indiana - the  home of one
Lincoln Museum, leading up to the 2009 Lincoln  Bicentennial
commemoration of this pivotal era in US history.

Find out  more about "New Discoveries in Royal Descent, Presidential,
Mayflower, and  Notable Kin Genealogy" from Gary Boyd Roberts, "Untapped
Resources: Your  Ancestors' Political Affiliations" from D. Joshua
Taylor,  as well as  opportunities to learn more about the Civil War
resources with Greater Boston  Civil War Roundtable president David L
Smith and numerous other individual  lecture topics.

If you are interested in learning more about how to  evaluate your
family's infamous connections, "Witches, Rakes, and Rogues:  Scandals
from Boston's Colonial Past" by D. Brenton Simons and many other  fine
lectures may help you sort out such "family secrets". Seaman  and
military deserters, Revolutionary War Loyalist "traitors" or  even
divorces and scandalous newspaper articles, are better understood  when
you know more about the historical context.

International  Digitization Projects
======================================

Millions  of family history researchers have created a grassroots army of
independent  scholars fueling the digitization of original source
documents and revealing  fresh insights into the growth of our nation
through it's people.

Dr.  Allen Weinstein, the Archivist of the US, will speak about the US
National  Archives digitization plans followed by New England Historic
Genealogical  Society President and CEO D. Brenton Simons' presentation
of the Society's  digitization  plans
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/opening-session-archivist-of-united.
html

Specific  resources and research opportunities will be addressed by
delegations from  the National Archives of Canada, Ireland, England,
Wales, Scotland as well as  the US. The British Isles, Canadian and Irish
research tracks also include  experts from many other organizations.

New England and New York Regional  resources are featured in the tracks
sponsored by the New England Historic  Genealogical Society, the New
England Regional Genealogical Conference and  the USGenweb project.

Readex, a Newsbank Company, will preview the public  release of their
"America's GenealogyBank"  collaboration with the  American Antiquarian
Society, providing digital images and advanced search  techniques for
unprecedented access to 17th through the 20th century  publications,
documents and maps.

Pedigrees and  Potpourris
========================

Concentrations also include  experts in research methodologies and group
migration patterns for the US  Northeast and the eastern Provinces of
Canada. Four centuries of intertwining  origins and families has created
a multi-dimensional and complex family  forest for many researchers.

Sandra Devlin, the late award-winning  Canadian journalist, wrote many
inspirational articles to help readers who  felt "hopelessly caught up in
the undergrowth" of their family trees. A 1979  excerpt includes Devlin's
characteristic imagery and humor:

"Perhaps  it is fitting that as the Gathering of the Clans was drawing to
its  conclusion — quite by chance I discovered that some of my roots are
steeped  in rich Scottish heritage.  All the while I thought I had been
absorbing  by osmosis the distinct romance and zeal of the Scottish
appeal — when  actually my wee drop of Scottish blood was floating on the
top and revealing  in the skirl of the bagpipes and the swish of the tartan.

If the truth be  known, I am one of the lucky ones who is able to join,
by virtue of blood  lines, in many ethnic festivities. ...

For Oktoberfest, I can don the  dirndl or leiderhosen, polka to the wee
small hours and stuff myself with  weiner snitzel and sauerkraut and feel
just wunderbar.

I can spread  the blarney with the best of my Irish kinsmen and by
wearin’ of the green on  St. Patrick’s Day can brandish my shillelagh at
anyone who would deny me my  share of Irish luck, (and temper)!

With a stiff upper lip, I can claim  the protection of good old St.
George, patron saint of England and circle on  the calendar Guy Fawkes
Day, St. Swithin’s Day and Shrove Tuesday for  commemoration."

Devlin also proposed a alternate clan gathering where  members must prove
"uniformity of their heritage has been jumbled by no less  than three
generations of ancestors who reproduced without a second thought  to the
resultant conundrum. We will rally about a crazy quilt flag.  Our  flower
will be a hybrid tea rose and our ethnic fare will be hodgepodge  stew."

The 2006 FGS Conference in Boston promises to fulfill Sandra  Devlin's
1979 exhuberant prophesy.

Rediscovering Lost  Heritage
============================

Each historic era also includes  grim revelations about those who
suffered and were severed from their  families by wars and prejudice.

Survivors of the Holocaust and the  researchers who help them find their
roots and other living relatives, have a  particularly poignant task.
Marika Barnett of Stow, Massachusetts is a  Hungarian child survivor and
will introduce Avotaynu's Gary Mokotoff when he  presents "How to
Document Victims and Locate Survivors of the Holocaust",  including a
vignette of Evelyne, a Belgian child survivor.

Many  African American research experts are providing opportunities  for
interlocking puzzle pieces of heritage that may no longer be  lost.
Portmouth, New Hampshire's Valerie Cunningham, an award-winning  historic
preservationist, author and railroad enthusiast will introduce  Tony
Burroughs' presentation on "Researching Pullman Porters:  Railroad
Records for African Americans", and Cherry Bamberg's "People of  Color at
Warwick, RI in 1774". Paul Bunnell, American Revolution  Loyalist
researcher and author, has identified many Black Loyalist records  and is
just beginning to track one grandaughter's Mississippi family in  20th
century records. Paul Bunnell will introduce Tony  Burroughs'
presentation "Southern Blacks in New England Records" and listen  for
clues in such post Civil War records.

Irish researchers who  believe it is impossibie to ever find their "Mary
Kelly" or "Michael Murphy"  will find four complete program tracks and an
Irish Pavillion in the exhibit  hall with an astounding number of
resources and experts. Of particular note  is the Irish Ordnance Survey
release of an online service for access to the  19th century detailed
maps of more than 60,000 townlands in Ireland, as well  as the Griffith's
Valuation workshops where owners and renters of 19th  century property
can be found and linked to their American  descendants.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/irish-pavilion-exhibit-irish-lecture
s.html

Researchers  who are struggling to follow the Family Medical History
recommendations made  by the US Surgeon General to explore collateral
family health histories may  be particularly interested in the
Massachusetts Genealogical Council  sponsored panel discussion "Keeping
Public Records Open for Genealogical  Research: What Do We Need to Do?"

Professional Training, Advanced  Methodology, Library and Society  Education

Several  comprehensive professional development tracks are offered
throughout the  conference by the Association of Professional
Genealogists, the Board for  Certification of Genealogists and the
International Commission for the  Accreditation of Professional Genealogists.

Additional tracks focus on  speaking and writing skills, as well as
concentrations in researching women  and creating youth programs.

Various advanced methodology and problem  solving topics are available
every day. Land platting, Griffith's Valuation  of Ireland and Photo
Identification workshops provide in depth workshop  sessions.

Individual researchers may also sign up for a consultation with  an
expert during the two day Ancestor's Road Show sponsored by  the
Association of  Professional
Genealogists.http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/do-you-have-research-br
ick-wall.html

The  Librarian's Day track provides tips and resources for librarian's to
better  serve their family history  patrons.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/librarians-day-at-fgsnehgs-conferenc
e.html

Six  tracks address the management and organizational needs of societies
and  archives, while several others provide topics for online
collaborations with  the USGenweb project.

Fun Stuff for  Genealogists
===========================

Luncheons, Banquets and  special events provide entertaining and
educational opportunities to  socialize and have the kind of
serendipitous discoveries that conference  goers rave about when a
stranger turns into a long lost  cousin.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/already-registered-need-to-add.html

GoBoston  has provided a special discount for conference attendees who
want to take  advantage of Boston's famed Duck Tours and more than 60
other local  attractions.
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/go-boston-card-special-pricing-for-f
gs.html

The  queen bee of more than 500 fun and useful items for genealogists is
Indiana's  Bev Petersen who's www.funstuffforgenealogists.com booth
provides just one of  the many conference exhibitor shopping  opportunties.
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/conf-exhibitors.asp

You  don't have to be Irish to join the Irish Ancestral Research
Association's  Thursday night Genealogy Table Quiz  event
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/08/you-dont-have-to-be-irish-to-join.ht
ml

Actors  from the Boston History Collaborative will be presenting
vignettes about  famous Boston inventions at the FGS  banquet
http://fgsconference.blogspot.com/2006/07/one-more-conference-highlight-fgs.ht
ml

You  can also help out as a volunteer for the 2006 FGS/NEHGS  Conference
http://www.fgs.org/2006conf/FGS-2006_volunteer.htm

Need  additional info?
Contact FGS National Publicity Chair Paula Stuart Warren  at
Or check the Conference Blog for more late  breaking  news
http://www.fgsconference.blogspot.com/