      Re: New York shilling (07/27)
From: Hugh MacDougall <[log in to unmask]>

   J. Buell
      J. Buell (07/28)
From: [log in to unmask]

   Henry DeWolf (Rochester, NY)
      Henry DeWolf (Rochester, NY) (07/28)
From: Bill Casey <[log in to unmask]>

---------------------------------
   Browse the NYHIST-L online archives. Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:50:19 -0400
From: Hugh MacDougall <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: New York shilling

            My guess would be that it was an actual British shilling. Foreign coins circulated in America well into the 1800s (almanacs and arithmatic books often had conversion tables). I would leave it to numismatic experts as to whether such coin were still common in the 1840s, etc., but perhaps this was a shilling from an earlier stage in the owner's life.
      Another possibility, of course, is that he was referring metaphorically to the first coin he had earned -- perhaps a quarter dollar.

  Hugh MacDougall, Cooperstown