P.S. I am going to forward this to members of the NY History List to see if anyone else has a better memory of the film, and where I might locate a copy.

To Whom It May Concern,

The correspondence below relates to my search for a film/video...but probably only a film, which I believe may have been called, "Inheritance." Do any of you have any memory of this film and where I might search for a copy of it? I MAY have the title wrong...MAY!

I used this for many years with my classes in school, beginning probably in the early 1970's.

Thanks!

Les Buell

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for the reply.

From my memory....

First, this might never have been a video...my memory is of a 16mm movie film. Again from my memory, Harvey Ward made wooden shovels in the Catskill Mountains, using an axe, a cooper's hand adz, drawshave and a shingle maker's bench. He mentioned his father being in Egypt, New York at some point in his life. He mentioned making many shovels for the DuPont powder factory to shovel up gunpowder. After Harvey did his thing the film switched to a "modern" stamping factory making metal shovels.

The tinsmith's name I do not remember but he might have mentioned living in Cincinnatus, New York. Somewhere I gained the impression that his tools might have been donated to the Farmer's Museum after his death. In the film he mentioned being in Hammondsport when the Wright Brothers were there flying one of their early planes.

The basketmaker's name I do not remember either, (her first name might have been Elizabeth..), but after she described making baskets, from chopping down the Ash tree, pounding and splitting the splints, etc., the film jumps to a factory making paper bags.

Hence the title, which seems to me was, "Inheritance." I used the film many times barrowing it from the Wayne County BOCES for use in my classroom. When BOCES went out of the business of loaning out films, (somewhere in the late 1970's or early 1980's), I was neve able to locate a copy of the film.

Thanks for your assistance.

Les Buell