P.S. I am going to forward this to  members of the NY History List to see if
anyone else has a better memory of the  film, and where I might locate a copy.

To Whom It May Concern,

The correspondence below relates to my search for a  film/video...but
probably only a film, which I believe may have been called,  "Inheritance." Do any of
you have any memory of this film and where I might  search for a copy of it?
I MAY have the title wrong...MAY!

I used this for many years with my classes in school, beginning  probably in
the early 1970's.

Thanks!

Les Buell

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for the reply.

From my memory....

First, this might never have been a video...my memory is of a 16mm  movie
film. Again from my memory, Harvey Ward made wooden shovels in the  Catskill
Mountains, using an axe, a cooper's hand adz, drawshave and a shingle  maker's
bench. He mentioned his father being in Egypt, New York at some point in  his
life. He mentioned making many shovels for the DuPont powder factory to  shovel
up gunpowder. After Harvey did his thing the film switched to a "modern"
stamping factory making metal shovels.

The tinsmith's name I do not remember but he might have mentioned  living in
Cincinnatus, New York. Somewhere I gained the impression that his  tools might
have been donated to the Farmer's Museum after his death. In the  film he
mentioned being in Hammondsport when the Wright Brothers were there  flying one
of their early planes.

The basketmaker's name I do not remember either, (her first  name might have
been Elizabeth..), but after she described making baskets, from  chopping down
the Ash tree, pounding and splitting the splints, etc., the film  jumps to a
factory making paper bags.

Hence the title, which seems to me was, "Inheritance." I used the  film many
times barrowing it from the Wayne County BOCES for use in my  classroom. When
BOCES went out of the business of loaning out films, (somewhere  in the late
1970's or early 1980's), I was neve able to locate a copy of  the film.

Thanks for your assistance.

Les Buell

In a message dated 6/21/2006 5:24:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,