I've had this book in my library for several years, but am just now getting around to reading it this month.  I've seen it listed in countless places as a Non-Fiction book, yet it reads so much like Fiction, or perhaps Historical Fiction, complete with quotations of lengthy conversations between people in the 1810's and 20's, letters between Canvass White and a bateaux boat keeper on the Mohawk River with language that seems much more like 1950 than 1818, etc.

Do others have experience with this book &/or author?  If so, I'd love to hear your comments.

Dave R.